Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sparrows

I don't know when the Common Sparrow left Bangalore. It is not seen in the city at all. I remember last year there was a picture of a pair of sparrows in the newspaper, seen in a flower market. It was such an unusual sight that it had become news. So when I was walking down one of Bangalore's busy roads one evening, I was surprised to hear the old familiar cheep cheep cheep. Loud and clear. Not one but many. And when I looked up at the small tree in front of me, there they were! I couldn't believe my eyes. Nor my ears. There were sparrows by the dozen. Roosting. Settling down for the night. I tried to count them - in the fading light I could count some ten. I still couldn't believe it. This small leafy tree on the pavement, the mad honking rush hour traffic right in front, and this noisy boisterous community of sparrows fidgeting and chirping, oblivious to everything around them. Their twittering was such a pleasure. I was very excited - the sparrows are back. At least on this little tree.

How and why? I don't know!

I have been going there fairly regularly now - in the evenings - just to check if they are still there. And sure enough, they are there. Today, I and a friend of mine counted as many as fifty of them on the lower branches. I am sure there are many more up there.

It is indeed a pleasure having these birds back. I hope they stay. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Anush Shetty said...

Wah... lovely post.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home